One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

17.6.12

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
WEARING: vintage dress | vintage bag | vintage belt | heels from korea | Hummingbird Road hat | FRENCHTOASTbyET ring
I've always been a fan of finding unused vintage pieces from my family's closets. They're not something that you can wear straight away. They need your creative mind so that they can be taken out of the closet and be loved again. I visited my grandma in her hometown in Indonesia last summer (dec-jan 2011), and found this dress. I fell in love with the fabric and pattern as well as the ruffles and heart-shaped neckline. When i showed this to my mum, she laughed and was confused what i was going to do with it. I understand where she was coming from, the dress was SUPER baggy and long. So I got it altered and mum helped with measuring and finding a tailor. The hemline was taken up and the dress was made smaller just in general and voila... this is the final result and one of the most comfy dresses to wear in the summer because the fabric is so light. But at the same time, I also used it recently in the winter time by just adding a cardigan and stockings.
I haven't shown this to my grandma, but i reckon she'll be really happy :D
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" is definitely a valid quote when applying to fashion. Besides this dress i found several other vintage things that belong to my mum. I even found my grandma's pin-up -like 50s swimwear but it was super small :( 
I'm going to continue my hunt for these pre-loved pieces when i visit Indonesia in July. Fingers crossed I'll find some more!
xoxo, ET

15 comments

  1. nice vintage dress :)

    http://deliasalsabila.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really prettyy outfit! I love vintage too, and finding pieces are even better cause they are practically freee :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello beautiful I love your outfit....
    xo...xo...L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty hat and dress! love your outfit! now following!

    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice outfit!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank for your lovely comment !! You're really cute :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rings!

    xoxo Sootjeelina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous outfit - the vintage dress is beautiful on you ! I love the neutral earthy tone of the outfit - and the accessories are beautiful :)

    Kisses !
    /U
    pug-a-licious
    Lil'Fit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the vintage feel from your bag and dress! Amazing outfit! So cute! :D

    backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could randomly find a dress like yours =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty you, pretty you! I also love the vintage stuffs. Nice hat anyway <3

    Love,
    Rainbow Passion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my you do look so breathtaking pretty with that hat! It's also very cute how you wear the shoes with this socks, it gives the outfit a sweet girly touch. I always love if people wear clothes with a family story, like you do with your grandmothers dress. lucky you that you found it! xx, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for your comment on my blog. I love finding vintage pieces and altering them too! the dress turned out great. love the bag as well.

    maddie x


    www.littleblackbeau.com

    ReplyDelete

thanx for reading/visitting my blog
any comments? :)
xoxo

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It